Program Overview & Audiences
Our adaptive and customized Virtual Training Projects (VTPs) take participants through the analysis of published research projects and methods with 1-on-1 support from domain experts. We partner with leading researchers from academia, industry, and government to create the VTPs.
- Industry: Biotech & Pharmaceutical Companies
- Academia & Government: University Labs, Academic Medical Centers, Research Centers
- Education: Colleges, High Schools, Education Organizations
Our VTPs help:
- Professionals, Trainees and Graduate Students learn new methods and apply them to their work
- College and High School Students explore careers & professional domains, courses of study, internship options
- Organizations select or train interns and new hires
VTP projects are 1-week*. After completing the weeklong version, participants can enroll in a multiweek extension (2- or 3- weeks depending on the VTP) to go deeper into the material.
Participants complete VTPs virtually, on their own internet-connected computers.
Each participant receives:
- Access to VTP platform, which provides AI-enabled project instructions & question-answering, along with a group collaboration channel for mentor-guided discussions and cohort interaction
- All computational resources and datasets necessary to complete assigned tasks (e.g. AWS instance with all necessary software & data to perform assigned analyses)
- Unlimited assistance from domain experts (asynchronous + videoconference calls)
- (Optional) Pre-VTP Preparation: gain a concise introduction to the programming languages and environments needed for completing assigned bioinformatics tasks. More information below.
Weeklong VTPs start on Monday or Tuesday with a 1-1 hourlong intro meeting on the platform where each participant is introduced to the project, provided all necessary resources to complete it, and assigned their own dataset.
Participants then complete a set of assigned tasks throughout the week—on their own schedule—and seek help from mentors and cohort peers on a group cohort channel.
A 1-hour Midweek Cohort Meeting on Wednesday and 1-hour Wrap-up Cohort Meeting on Friday ensure the group can discuss their progress.
- Based on individual educational backgrounds and work experience, we may recommend completing a brief Pre-VTP preparation module covering relevant coding topics before the project begins.
- For group registrations of 20 or more participants, we are flexible with alternative scheduling options.
Each participant can opt to complete 3-5 hours of preparation in relevant coding topics the week before their VTP starts.
Pre-VTP Preparation includes:
An hourlong introductory platform meeting on Wednesday or Thursday
An hourlong group videoconference meeting on Friday
2-3 hours of independent work.
Please consult the VTP descriptions to determine if this foundation would be helpful.
All participants are welcome and it is currently offerred at no extra charge, but it is not required.